Ayurveda Treatment for Syringomyelia
Best Herbal Ayurveda Treatment
Syringomyelia is a condition that causes fluid filled cysts (syrinx) inside the spinal cord.
Synonyms : Hydromyelia, Morvan disease, syringohydromyelia.
It affects people of all ages,but it is most common in people of 20-40 years of age . It is more common in men than women.
- Syringomyelia mostly develops gradually over time.
- Coughing and straining can sometimes trigger symptoms of syringomyelia, but it is less likely to cause syringomyelia.
The signs and symptoms of syringomyelia include:
- Muscle weakness and atrophy
- Loss of reflexes
- Stiffness in back, shoulders, arms and legs
- Neck, arm and back pain
- Loss of pain and temperature sensitivity
- Bowel and bladder incontinence
- Symptoms mostly depend on location and size of the cyst. If it increases in size, growing longer and wider, the nerves in the center of the spinal cord get damaged. This causes chronic pain, and it is difficult to treat.
- The cyst may sometimes damage the nerve that controls the eye and facial muscles, resulting in Horner Syndrome, which is characterized by drooping eyelids, narrowing of the opening of eyelids, reduction in the pupil size, and decreased sweating in the affected side of the face.
Syringomyelia is caused when the normal flow of cerebrospinal fluid (which protects the spinal cord and brain) gets blocked and it gets collected within the spinal cord and forms a cyst.
The fluid may get blocked due to 2 reasons:
- Birth defect
There are some conditions and diseases that may lead to syringomyelia. They are:;
- Meningitis: Meningitis is the inflammation of the membranes of the brain and spinal cord.
- Chiari malformation: It is a condition wherein the brain tissue protrudes into the spinal cord.
- Birth defects like tethered spinal cord, where the tissues of the spinal cord limit its movements.
- Tumor of the spinal cord may interfere with normal circulation of the cerebrospinal fluid.
- Spinal cord injury.
- CONGENITAL SYRINGOMYELIA: Also called communicating syringomyelia. It is generally seen when there is any problem with brain development of the baby during pregnancy. A defect called “chiari malformation” causes the baby’s brain to push downwards to the spinal cord. Thus the flow of cerebrospinal fluid gets blocked and the cyst is formed. Chiari malformation may not always cause syringomyelia.
- ACQUIRED SYRINGOMYELIA: Also called primary or non communicating syringomyelia. The cyst here is formed when there is any damage in the spinal cord. The damage may be caused due to :
- Swelling of the covering of spinal cord
- Spinal cord injury
- Spinal tumor
- Tethered spinal cord
- IDIOPATHIC SYRINGOMYELIA: When the cause is unknown.
- MRI scans of the brain and spine are mostly used to detect the cysts in syringomyelia
- CT scan of spine are also used
- It may sometimes be detected from MRI taken for other health reasons.
The type of treatment for syringomyelia depends on the symptoms and its severity.
- If there are no symptoms or they are mild, no treatment is required. But regular checkups are needed to assess the cyst growth and any changes in signs and symptoms. At this time oral medications like shamana oushadhis will be very effective and help the syrinx from progressing.
- The treatment options available in ayurveda are conservative management which includes anti inflammatory and palliative measures like rukshana, lepana and internally shamna aushadhi which are effective in vridhi-vidradhi (tumor and cyst)
If the symptoms are severe and they cause problems, surgery may be suggested for normal flow of cerebrospinal fluid.Surgery is not always a permanent cure for syringomyelia. The fluid can build up again and the condition may recur. Syringomyelia can recur after surgery. Regular examinations with your doctor, including periodic MRIs are required to assess the outcome of surgery.
What we can provide in MAURYA AYURVEDA
Ayurvedic drugs and panchakarma treatments have been in use for many years for the enhancement of the spinal cord function.
Rehabilitation and assistive devices enable many with spinal cord defects to lead productive, independent lives.
We use the effective ayurvedic indeginous methods of rehabilitation.
We use a spectrum of anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, analgesic and other drugs.
- Snehana (abhyanga)
- Svedana (sashtika shali pinda sveda, patra potali sveda etc.) reduces the spastic nature of the disease and to restore movements
- Vasthi (mathra vasthi, anuvasana vasthi, asthapana vasthi) improves nerve function.
- dhara (shiro dhara, kashaya dhara etc) which helps in stimulating nerves.
The physiotherapy session helps to restore the motor activities and helps in decreasing stiffness. The symptoms are effectively managed by the well equipped physio session under the guidance of an experienced Physiotherapist.
Combined oral medicine
To pacify vitiated doshas, along with the panchakarma and physiotherapy, oral medications are also given . Main drugs used includes
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Punarnava (Boerhaavia diffusa)
- Danti (Baliospermum montanum)
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes)
- Guggulu preparations
The drugs used have the capabilities to address spinal cord injuries. Ashwagandha and guduchi have rasayana and balya properties while guggulu preparations help in tendon and ligament, bone and bone marrow, neurological and rheumatological disorders.
Our aim is to help the patient to lead a normal life without being a burden to the society. Knowing all the limitations we help in restoring the functions of the body with all our facilities.
WHY CHOOSE US
We continue to pursue that same vision!
No Side Effects
Prevention Before Cure
Specific To Individuals
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Progressive weakness in arms and legs Pain Headaches Stiffness of shoulders, neck, legs and arms Loss Of Sensitivity to hot and cold in hands Imbalance Tingling sensation Bowel and bladder incontinence
It is not permanently curable, but can be controlled by surgery.
Syringomyelia has the same radiographic features on all imaging modalities as any other cyst. Plane x-ray film may show subtle widening of the spinal canal in sagittal and coronal planes. MRI scans of the brain and spine are mostly used to detect the cysts in syringomyelia.
Syringomyelia are mainly caused by 2 reasons: Birth defect - It is generally seen when there is any problem with brain development of the baby during pregnancy. A defect called “chiari malformation” causes the baby’s brain to push downwards to the spinal cord. Thus the flow of cerebrospinal fluid gets blocked and the cyst is formed. Chiari malformation may not always cause syringomyelia.