At Maurya Hospital, We treat Fibromyalgia using Ayurveda & Physiotherapy.
If you are looking for fibromyalgia treatment in Kerala, At Maurya Hospital, our treatment for Fibromyalgia involves a series of treatment modalities at Maurya Hospital, Muvattupuzha. The treatment protocol involves an integrated therapy, consisting of Ayurveda, Physiotherapy, and Naturopathy treatment aimed at reducing pain, stiffness, and tenderness.
Looking for Fibromyalgia Treatment in Kerala?
Our rehabilitation teams
Our doctors work with healthcare professionals to evaluate the impact of the injury on your function and develop a recovery plan that is personalized for you. Our rehabilitation teams include physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech/language therapists, Acupuncturists, and Ayurveda & Naturopathy doctors. We offer care for as long as you need it and advise you on techniques to recover faster.
Our hospital brings together specially trained medical staff, advanced monitoring techniques, and specialized Physiotherapy and Ayurvedic treatments focused on improving the outcomes of patients with Fibromyalgia.
ETIOLOGY AND DEFINITION
‘Fibro-’ means ‘Connective tissue’ and ‘Myalgia’ means ‘Muscle pain’.
Fibromyalgia is a musculoskeletal condition associated with tenderness all over the body, fatigue, and cognitive impairments.
Today, Fibromyalgia is known as ‘Fibromyalgia Syndrome’.
According to Ayurveda, Fibromyalgia can be correlated to ‘Mamsagata Vata’ which is a disorder caused by the vitiation of Vata Dosha (fundamental bioenergetic forces or doshas in Ayurveda, that represents the subtle energy associated with movement, mobility, and communication in the body and mind) and accumulation of Ama (toxins), which is formed by improper diet and weak digestion. These toxins accumulate in the tissues over time, causing pain, stiffness and tenderness.
Ayurveda Treatment for Fibromyalgia
Ayurveda treatment at Maurya mainly focuses on therapies that promote a reduction in pain, stiffness, and tenderness. We have a team of excellent Ayurveda Physicians who handle such cases with ease. The therapies vary from patient to patient, but we can give you a peek into the treatment procedures you can expect at Maurya Ayurveda Hospital.
- Massage of the whole or part of the body with warm oil that have analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties is known as Abhyanga.
- Abhyanga provides considerable relief from pain and stiffness. Also, the medicated oils used for Abhyanga contain muscle-strengthening properties, thereby resulting in a considerable reduction of pain and tenderness.
- For fibromyalgia, Ruksha Vasti is employed as part of a comprehensive treatment strategy to calm Vata and lessen pain and stiffness. Specific herbal oils or decoctions with drying and warming properties may be chosen during a Ruksha Vasti treatment for fibromyalgia to balance Vata and reduce symptoms.
- The procedure promotes detoxification, eases pain, and improves circulation in addition to improving general health.
- Nasya therapy is believed to help balance Vata dosha, promote the cleansing of toxins, and enhance the functioning of the head and neck region, which can positively impact the symptoms of fibromyalgia.
- Generally, the oils used in nasya for Vata-related disorders have warming and nourishing properties. They may contain herbs that have calming and balancing effects on the nervous system.
- Nasya therapy involves lying down with the head tilted back, and then a few drops of the medicated oil or preparation are instilled into each nostril. The individual is then encouraged to gently inhale the oil, allowing it to reach the sinuses and respiratory passages. This process can help reduce pain, relieve congestion, improve breathing, and promote a sense of calm and relaxation to counter the effects of Stress and strain on Fibromyalgia.
- Ruksha Kizhi involves the application of heated, dry herbal powders or herbal boluses to the body. It is a form of sudation therapy used to treat Fibromyalgia to get rid of pain, stiffness, and inflammation.
- In Ruksha Kizhi, the herbal powders are typically dried and finely ground herbs with properties that provide a drying effect. During the therapy session, the herbal powders are tied into small cloth bundles, which are then heated in a medicated oil or sand and applied to the affected areas of the body. The therapist may gently massage the body with the heated boluses or use them to apply rhythmic pressure or tapping motions. This helps to deliver the therapeutic properties of the herbs and stimulate circulation, reduce pain, improve flexibility, and promote healing.
- Elakizhi is the term for the coordinated application of heat by therapists using poultices (Kizhi) made of appropriate leaves which have properties to reduce pain, stiffness, and tenderness. The patient is instructed to lie down on his back and suitable oil is applied all over the body. Kizhi is then heated over a mild fire as per the patient’s comfort and then massaged all over the body by Therapists.
- The benefits of Shirodhara in Fibromyalgia include reducing pain, improving sleep quality, calming the mind, reducing stress and anxiety, and promoting a sense of balance and well-being. The warm oil used in Shirodhara nourishes the scalp and hair, moisturizes the skin, and helps release tension from the muscles and tissues of the head and neck region.
- During a Kashaya Dhara session for fibromyalgia, a warm herbal decoction is continuously poured over the affected areas of the body, such as the back, neck, or specific tender points. The decoction is typically prepared with herbs that possess anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and muscle-relaxing properties.
Physiotherapy For Fibromyalgia Patients At Maurya Ayurveda
Physiotherapy is found very beneficial for patients with Fibromyalgia. Physiotherapy is carried out by trained, professional Physiotherapists at Maurya Hospital based on the patient’s condition. The therapies vary from patient to patient, but we can give you a peek into the treatment procedures you can expect at Maurya Ayurveda Hospital.
IFT (Interferential Therapy)
- Interferential Therapy is a type of electrotherapy that uses low-frequency electrical currents to provide pain relief and promote circulation. It may help alleviate pain and reduce muscle tension in individuals with fibromyalgia. The therapy involves placing electrodes on the skin near the affected area, and the electrical currents stimulate the nerves and muscles.
- Applying icepacks to painful or tender areas can help reduce inflammation and temporarily numb the area, providing relief from pain.
- Strengthening exercises can help improve muscle strength and stability, which may help support the joints and alleviate some fibromyalgia symptoms. It’s important to start with low-impact exercises and gradually progress based on your tolerance. Examples of strengthening exercises for fibromyalgia may include gentle weightlifting, resistance band exercises, and bodyweight exercises.
- Stretching exercises can help improve flexibility, reduce muscle tension, and enhance joint mobility. Gentle stretching routines that focus on all major muscle groups can be beneficial for individuals with fibromyalgia.
- Treadmill exercises can help improve cardiovascular fitness and overall endurance. Starting with a slow pace and gradually increasing intensity and duration based on the patient’s comfort level is helpful.
More About Fibromyalgia
The exact cause of Fibromyalgia is unknown, but studies have suggested a connection between the condition and a number of psychiatric conditions, including Anxiety, Major Depressive disorder, and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). These conditions cause an increase in abnormal chemicals in the brain, which changes how the brain interprets pain signals. Brains of patients with Fibromyalgia show functional and structural differences from those of healthy individuals. Brain anomalies could result from childhood stress or prolonged, severe stress. Some of the symptoms include
- Morning Stiffness
- General Fatigue
- Cold Sensitivity
- Exercise Intolerance
- Poor Sleep
- Joint Stiffness
- Fluid Retention
- Bowel Discomfort
- Tingling Sensations