Ayurveda Treatment for Transverse Myelitis
Best Herbal Ayurveda Treatment
Transverse myelitis (TM) is a rare inflammatory disease of the body. It causes injury to the spinal cord and results in demyelination and it is presented with varying degrees of weakness, sensory alterations, and autonomic dysfunction.
Transverse myelitis is presented as rapidly progressing muscle weakness or paralysis of the body. It begins in the legs and moves to the arms with varying degrees of severity. In the majority of individuals, in the spinal cord involvement, sensations are diminished below the level of dermatomal distribution.
Signs and Symptoms of transverse myelitis
- Pain, and temperature sensation are generally diminished
- Sensation of vibration and joint position sense are also decreased.
- Sexual dysfunction
- Increased urinary urgency
- Bowel or bladder incontinence
- Difficulty or inability to void
- Incomplete evacuation of bowel or constipation
Diagnosis of transverse myelitis
- Evidence of inflammation
- On MRI as gadolinium enhancement
- On lumbar puncture seen as elevated white blood cells
IgG index is frequently observed and aids in the diagnosis.
Treatment of transverse myelitis
- The acute treatment for transverse myelitis depends on the symptoms and the management of the resultant neurological deficits.
- Transverse myelitis is one of the common clinical conditions faced by a neurologist and is one of the leading causes of disability, in those affected.
- Symptoms are based on the area affected and the particular area of the spinal cord inflammation.
Treatment in Ayurveda for transverse myelitis
From the Ayurvedic perspective:
- The condition is to be discussed under Avarana, as per the clinical presentation categorizing the involved dosha.
- The function of the Vata gets obstructed by the obstructing dosha, which is in an aggravating state, due to its own contributory etiology.
- The initial stage may be associated with aama, which has to be managed without fail.
- The selected Ayurvedic protocol for transverse myelitis includes
- internal medications
- Sarvanga seka
- Nirooha followed by appropriate rasayana
- This treatment protocol for transverse myelitis has been found effective.
- Vatha is the main dosha involved in the pathology of transverse myelitis.
- In most cases, either Pitta or Kapha is found to be causing obstruction to the function of Vatha due to the avarana. So, to relieve the obstruction and hence normalise Vatha, the initial management must be for Pitta or Kapha.
- Snehana karma, swedana karma, sodhana karma (vamana and virecana) , vasthi followed by appropriate administration of selected rasayana is the line to be adopted for transverse myelitis ayurvedic treatment, if the condition fits to the criteria of Vatha disorder.
PHYSIOTHERAPY FOR TRANSVERSE MYELITIS
The physiotherapy treatment for transverse myelitis will be dependent on the symptoms.
With the correct medical and physiotherapy treatment, full recovery is seen in approximately one third patients following the initial onset, a moderate degree of permanent disability is seen in one third, and a third make virtually no recovery and remain severely functionally disabled.
Physiotherapy for transverse myelitis improves functioning and promotes quality of life and rehabilitation for transverse myelitis. Physiotherapy is the most important aspect of managing transverse myelitis in the short and longer term.
- Muscle Weakness – It is very important to keep exercising. Physiotherapy treatment for myelitis will increase muscle strength by improving walking, running or swimming. Hydrotherapy treatment helps the muscles to relax and will decrease muscle stiffness and shortening. Exercise will also help to improve balance and posture of the patient.
- Fitness levels – By improving fitness, energy levels and stamina, physiotherapy treatment will help to achieve everyday tasks. For regaining the full potential,a graduated exercise programme will be developed by the physiotherapist.
- Mobility – In order to improve functional ability, our physiotherapists can advise you on mechanical support such as walking aids and orthotic devices. Physiotherapy treatment will also help in improving the transferring of patients in and out of wheelchair, bed, car, etc. and promote independence of the patient.
Pain – Some patients with transverse myelitis experience pain. Muscle strain caused by nerve compression or using the body in an unfamiliar way are some of the main causes of pain in transverse myelitis. Physiotherapy helps in treatment of pain in transverse myelitis.
WHY CHOOSE US
We continue to pursue that same vision!