Dhoomapanam- The Phenomenal Benefits of Herbal Smoking
The procedure in which Medicated smoke is inhaled through the nose and exhaled through the mouth is called Dhoomapanam.
TYPES OF DHOOMAPANAM
- Mridu Dhoomapanam
- Madhyama Dhoomapanam
- Teekshna Dhoomapanam
- Lubricating and mild in nature
- Can be used daily
- Indications- At the end of sneezing, Yawning, Defecation, Urination, Copulation, Surgical Operation, Bouts of laughing, Use of a toothbrush.
- Eg. Sandalwood
- Smoke is of Medium potency, a little stronger than Mridu Dhoopana.
- Indications- At the end of the night, end of meals, end of Nasya therapy
- Eg. Licorice
- Strong potency, purgative in nature.
- Indications- At the end of sleep, at the end of Nasya treatment, After applying Anjana, After a bath, After vomiting
- Eg. Triphala, Turmeric, etc
General Benefits of Dhoomapanam
|Halitosis (Bad breath)||Asthma|
The patient is told to sit up straight and to keep his mouth open. The smoke is then inhaled through either nostril and exhaled through the mouth. This must be done three times. To avoid eye damage, take care not to exhale through the mouth.
Contraindications for Dhoomapanam
|-Head injury||-Dryness of Palate|
|-Those who have undergone Purgation and Emesis||Pregnant women|
|-Chest Injuries||-After consuming Ghee, Fish, Curd, Milk, Wine, Gruel etc|
-Amla powder heated with Coconut oil improves Premature Greying.